Hiring Organization / Company: Department Of Jobs, Precincts And Regions
Basic Salary: To Be Discussed
Employement Type: Full-Time
- $53,946 - $69,276 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed term – 2 years
- Usual hours of work: Full-time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Bundoora
The position involves participating as part of a glasshouse-based team that is responsible for undertaking germplasm evaluation under controlled environments, crossing/hybridisation and generational advancement using conventional, as well as accelerated (“speed”) breeding approaches. You will participate in the development and implementation of protocols and methodology for accelerated crop breeding and germplasm evaluation. You will be responsible for delivering specific research milestones for a range of collaborative and industry co-funded projects under the direction of the Senior Technical staff.
The role requires demonstrated experience in plant husbandry and plant crossing/hybridisation (preferably cereals, pulses and/or oilseeds), as well as excellent organisational, time management and communication skills. The role requires managing plant and plant part provenance which requires the use of large datasets in spreadsheets and databases and a basic understanding of experimental design under controlled environment conditions.
The Agriculture Victoria Research Branch
The Agriculture Victoria Research Branch represents DJPR's agricultural research and development function. The Agriculture Research Branch provides a discipline-based science and technology delivery function in the following areas: a) Genomics and Cellular Sciences; b) Microbial Sciences, Pests and Diseases; c) Plant Sciences; d) Plant Production Sciences; e) Animal Production Sciences; and f) Agriculture Resources Sciences.
Agriculture R&D is delivered via an ‘innovation ecosystem' that converges government, industry/agribusiness and academia/knowledge centres into clustered and collaborative networks, with a clear focus on science and technology for productivity and biosecurity outcomes. It delivers a continuity of research and development activities across DJPR's priority areas while also elevating the importance of agricultural R&D in DJPR.
The key accountabilities of the role will include:
- Implement, optimise and establish protocols for highly efficient germplasm evaluation, plant hybridisation/crossing and rapid generational advancement in cereals (e.g. wheat and barley), oilseeds (e.g. canola and safflower) and pulses (e.g. chickpea, field pea, lentils and faba bean) under controlled environment conditions.
- Perform, under general supervision, germplasm evaluation, plant husbandry, plant hybridisation/crossing and generational advancement for cereal, oilseed and pulse crops.
- Plan and prioritise own work to achieve defined targets; maintain clear and accurate records of work performed; participate in cross-training of staff and maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Assist in the design, setup and management of experiments and analysis of experimental data; develop knowledge and skills in areas that support the research undertaken.
- Support senior scientists in the preparation of reports for internal and external collaborators, including journal publication of science outputs.
- Maintain effective communications with other members of the project team; actively engage in discussions and meetings to improve work practices and protocols and ensure a positive work environment and group culture of achievement.
- Adopt and apply OH&S policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment and ensure compliance with regulatory obligations imposed by OGTR, AQIS and the Department of Agriculture.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a National Police Records Check prior to commencing employment with the Department.
For further information on the position, please refer to the attached position description.
How to Apply
Please click the ‘Apply Now' button. As part of the application process, you will need to provide a copy of your resume and a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria outlined in the position description.
Applications close at midnight on 5 August 2021.
Job Location Information:
Location: Melbourne Vic
Date Posted: 2021-07-22
Before you apply, we would like to invite you to join our FB Group.No, thanks! Just let me apply for this job vacancy.
Jobs in Dubai (☑️Verified)
- You may also interested for the following jobs:
- Technical Assistant Jobs
- Jobs Vacancies in Department Of Jobs, Precincts And Regions